The beautiful charming island of St Thomas. I've been to this island on two occasions. Both occasions were by cruising: 2013 in the Carnival Valor and 2014 in the Carnival Conquest. It’s definitely on my top favorite places I’ve visited.
St Thomas is a relatively small island, so all of its main attractions lie within an easy walking or driving distance from the cruise port. I will mention that most of its attractions are within a 10 minute drive, while some require only a short walk.
Things to do when cruising to St Thomas:
1. Tour the island - When getting off the cruise at Havensight cruiseship dock and shopping center you will notice a bunch of taxi drivers offering many deals. My suggestion? Look for the taxi driver named Miguelina! On both ocassions she has been our tour guide and she is a BLAST!!! She took us on a tour making a couple of stops along the way. One of our stops was a small open concept store where you could buy fresh fruits and juices. Another was Mountain Top Shopping Mall (see #2)! We then headed to Magens Bay (see #3). A couple of hours after enjoying the beach we headed to a neat outside shopping market with plenty of souvenirs and time to shop before heading back to the port!
I would also recommend visiting the Island Tours VI website. They offer great packages and will schedule pick up times based on your arrival. www.islandtoursvi.com
2. Mountain Top Shopping Mall - Rated one of the 10 best views in the world by National Geographic. More than 20 different islands can be seen from up here! I would definitely recommend taking a quick trip up here. It is a very neat shopping area to get souvenirs and gifts, and it is duty free! You can also enjoy one of many delicious daiquiris. Plus, it is said to be the only place in the world to get the 'Gone Bananas' secret recipe premix for the World Famous Mountain Top's original banana daiquiri! www.mountaintopvi.com
3. Magens Bay - Magens Bay is St Thomas most popular beach, I have been here on both ocassions and I love it! It's the only beach that has an entry fee; funds are used to maintain the facilities on the beach. Adults pay $4.00ea and children 12& under pay $2.00ea! The crystal clear water is very calm with no waves or current, great for swimming and floating along. The bay deepens gradually making it perfect for small children, but always be aware! If you are more into doing activities in the water, a sports booth rents paddle boats, kayaks, and sunfish! They also rent beach chairs, floats, and snorkle sets. Although, if you are into snorkeling I would suggest going to Coki beach or Sapphire beach. Other than that this beach is perfect for relaxing and a family fun day!
4. Paradise Point St Thomas Skyride - Paradise Point is located across the street from Havensight cruise ship dock and shopping center. It makes it very easy and convinient for cruisers to walk right over to it. The Skyride goes up to 700ft above the town of Charlotte Amalie, making Paradise Point known for its legendary views! Once up there you can spot islands like St Croix, Vieques, and Culebra on a clear day! Paradise Point also offers plenty of drinks, food, shopping, and free wi-fi!
For more information visit their website: www.ridetheview.com
5. Coral World Ocean Park - One of St Thomas greatest attractions! I have yet to go here, but I am planning on going on my next cruise! For more information you can visit their website: www.coralworldvi.com
6. Tree Limin' Extreme Zipline Park - Zip line through the rainforest on a gratifying 2 1/2 hour canopy tour! This is definitely on my to do list for my next trip to St Thomas! www.ziplinestthomas.com
So there you have it! My personal list of favorite things to do while in the beautiful island of St. Thomas! Whether you are looking for adventure or to simply relax in a beautiful beach with crystal clear water. St Thomas has it all!